The Mail Bag
1. Why don’t you speak out against abortion? Isn’t that the most important “social justice” issue?
I don’t write much about abortion because everyone else does. There’s really nothing unique I have to offer to the discussion and the Christian community is already well mobilized against it. I’m “pro-life” after the child is born as well…and I don’t think we speak to that nearly enough.
2. Why don’t you write against same sex marriage? Are you another Anglican compromiser?
Again, I don’t write about this subject much because it’s been written about by everyone else ad nauseum. As a pastor/priest I will not perform same sex marriages. As a pastor/priest I will deal with individuals who struggle with same sex attraction with the same care and nuance that we are to give anybody struggling with sin…which is all of us.
3. What about transgender issues?
Above my pay scale. I find that whole area baffling. I do sometimes wonder if we’re placing a huge emphasis on a very tiny percent of the population…and for what purpose?
4. How can you be a liberal and call yourself a Christian?
I don’t identify as a liberal, but as a Christian. Embracing a political label before our primary identity as God’s people in exile is problematic no matter which side of the aisle you’re on. As a secondary identity, I would actually call myself a centrist because that is where the problems actually get solved…
5. Why don’t you write as much as you used to about Calvary Chapel and other church scandals?
If you have the choice to walk in the sewer or the sidewalk, take the sidewalk. I’ll still write when I can do the best job on a story, but the blogging community is doing a great job without me covering those stories.
6. You sound like you’ve abandoned inerrancy. Is that true?
Define inerrancy, then get back to me. I can’t psychically define which of the multiple definitions you want me to affirm… or deny.
7. You seem to have doubts about God and prayer…how can you be a pastor?
Because my congregation has doubts too…we help each other by being honest and confronting those doubts. I believe, help my unbelief…
8. Do you realize that by being ecumenical you’re setting the stage for the Anti-Christ and the one world religion?
Yes. I’m actually a Jesuit plant. We’re the worst.
9. Why do you have a “donate” button?
Because I need the money.
10. Someone calls you a “grumpy old cat man”… what do you say to that?
Guilty as charged.