Things I Think
What was evident in his confession is that the atmosphere in that body has become as polluted as Mars Hill’s was under Driscoll.
The difference being, that Chandler appears to be receiving the discipline and correction of the Lord on this matter.
Despite all the claims that this was a PR device, I believe Chandler honestly addressed the underlying issues and is choosing to make corrections. While we have every reason to be skeptical of all things mega church, we also have an obligation (if we are believers) to hope for and believe the best of those who are caught in sin and show repentance. This does not mean we forsake the obligation to also be vigilant in seeing that the repentance is full and brings forth the necessary fruit, it means we treat those involved as repentant sinners like ourselves and not as unrepentant enemies of the faith.
Chandler and TVC have a huge mess to clean up…one that will take months, not days. I’m encouraged with how they’ve started the process.
2. What I’m seeing on more than one website is that some don’t just want Chandler to confess and repent of the sins the church has committed against people, but to repent of their theology. Specifically, they want repentance for being complementarian and Calvinist. Don’t hold your breath. Abusive behavior is a heart issue, not a theological one.
3. Chris Quintana of CC Cypress commenting on Brian Brodersens article on attending a gay wedding; “The worst part about this and for so many of the articles on cc.com is the impression it gives that CC is in agreement with that. The website doesn’t indicate that it’s articles are giving voice to a less than traditional CC viewpoint. It by no means represents a huge number of Stay The Course pastors I know. Quite the contrary it is a considerable misrepresentation of much of the movement.”
“Such is the “Golden Rule.” He who has the gold, rules.”
4. Brian Brodersen on who he speaks for; “Some have thought that I’m speaking on behalf of all Calvary Chapels. I am not. I stated in the article that this is my present perspective on the matter. Just for the record: no one person speaks for all Calvary Chapels”.
5. For some, there is no greater fear than giving others the freedom to think…
6. While I am a shaky complementarian, I do believe that unless women have a voice and authority in the church they will become easy targets of abusive men…
7. Bernie Sanders could end up being the most effective third party candidate since Ross Perot…
8. I will remind people once again that it was the blogging world and social media that brought out the issues in The Village Church. The “Christian media” will now spend this week sucking up the numbers and ad dollars from other peoples work. The mainstream media in this country, (both Christian and secular), are shameless thieves and shameful excuses for real journalism.
9. If Mark Driscoll had done what Matt Chandler did, Mars Hill would still be in business. Because of that, I’m glad he didn’t… I think both men have shown what they truly are.
10. The next big trend in American evangelicalism will be downsizing…