Things I Think
I never used to wrestle with certain truths because it was implied that wrestling was a sign of apostasy or unbelief.
However…some things are difficult to embrace.
God chose one people over all the others in the world…which is fine unless you were one of the peoples that inhabited the rest of the planet.
God wiped out all of the world except one family in a universal flood. As I’ve written before, the pictures of the animals entering the ark should be replaced with pictures of millions of bodies floating around it.
“Without the shedding of blood, there is no remission of sin.” Tough rule…
The last time we see Lot in the OT he is getting drunk and having sex with his kids. In the NT we see him called “righteous Lot”.
The role of women in the church…
I could go on.
Now, in the final analysis I choose to believe that the Bible is the word of God and “true” in all the things it addresses whether I understand it or not..
It is the only authority we have as Protestants and if you take away anything as being divine revelation, much of the rest collapses as well.
I believe…but I wrestle.
2. The movie is called “The Boy In the Striped Pajamas”. It’s about the friendship between the son of a German officer and a Jewish boy in WW II. They end up dying together in a Nazi gas chamber. When Trey asked me what God was doing while all the horror of the Nazis was going on I had no answer…when he pressed me on it I got angry…because I have no answer. I sinned in my response, he didn’t sin by asking.
3. I’m teaching through 1st Corinthians in church and find it fascinating that we don’t know the name of the senior pastor…I suspect that there wasn’t one. The letter is addressed to the whole church with the expectation that it be presented to the whole church…not confidentially to a particular leader to filter to the pews.
4. Same with the letter to the Galatians…
5. and Romans…and Ephesians…and maybe we need to look at church polity again.
6. DavidM sent me this incredible link to The Martyrs Project. It is a collection of the prayers of the martyrs from the first century to the modern era set to music….and it’s a lot more than that. I commend this much to your attention.
7. The end of the NFL season is a small death awaiting resurrection on the first day of baseball season.
8. A new interview with Phil about my book…I just like to talk with Phil.
9. The best friends I have say the toughest things to me...sometimes using colorful language.
10. It is so easy to become theologically correct and spiritually wrong…knowledge about Christ without knowing the person of Christ is the foundation of a great many evils.