Things I Think
“To be an an enclave for the hard bitten, for those with a nagging, gnawing ache for genuineness…with a time-earned aversion to manipulation, to artificiality, and to personal ambition masquerading as servanthood.
Who believe Christianity can produce lives that are real and fulfilling. Who may still have no idea how that happens.
Not to speak truth to power, but to speak the truth about the misuse of power and help us all better recognize that and deal with it.”
That’s as close as we can get to what is in my head…
2. Another regular, Ixtlan, brilliantly invoked Neil Young to summarize the current state of CC;
“Listening to “Old Man” by Neil Young. Love the steel guitar. The Harvest album reminds me of days of fleeting innocence long ago and far away.
I go back to days in tent. There was nothing like it that I have ever experienced, not before, not since.
” I sing the song
because I love the man
I know that some
of you don’t understand
to keep from running out.”
The Needle And The Damage Done… Neil Young, Harvest
Calvary Chapel’s best days are probably behind them. They have some strong challenges ahead with no real leadership. The current leadership structure has already proven to be ineffective and they lack cohesiveness. But at times, it takes more than leadership.”
3. The most difficult persons in your life are often the ones whom God is using the most to teach you about Himself.
4. Over the weekend a number of of us were praying for a child badly injured in a car accident. The child died…and I asked again where God was…and I think He was in all of those prayers that were really protests against sin and death. They were all modifications of “thy kingdom come, thy will be done”…and one day those prayers will be answered…and the child will live again. Today, God is in the grief. That’s the best I can do.
5. A lot of people skipped church yesterday to watch the football game…a lot of meals were prepared for people who weren’t hungry.
6. I can’t take enough showers to wash off how I feel after that GoDaddy commercial…
7. Brian wrote; “What you can win are the day to day battles people go through. My prayer continue your blog but steer it wide to the local need of the local folks. Making connections to help just one person. “ First, God bless Brian. Second…how do we do this? Can we do this? I love the concept…
8. I’ve been listening to an audiobook of N.T. Wright’s “Scripture and the Authority of God” at night before I go to sleep. It’s so good I’m not getting enough sleep. Highly recommended.
9. I’m completely stuck on the point I mentioned last week about the fact that Paul’s epistles are addressed to entire churches and not to individual leaders who would then pass it on to the pews. It speaks volumes to me about the importance of every member of the Body and about the fact that each one of us is as necessary and responsible for the health of the Body as it’s appointed leaders. It also indicates to me that we need to completely deconstruct the way we “do church”. I could be wrong…
10. Finally, I had a productive email exchange with Alex yesterday. The bottom line is that we are going to treat each other with the respect and dignity that should be the hallmark of Christian relationships. He is leaving here to focus on his own blog and work and help us preserve this community. He is not going to be a topic of discussion here…period. Neither of us is going to allow negative comments about the other site on our blogs. We will both strive to model the kind of leadership that we seek in other realms.
I ask that you all respect this and we move forward.
My schedule these days is pretty overwhelming, so new content will be scarce and moderation will have to be heavy to avoid unnecessary conflicts.
My main concern is that the prayer thread be up, available, and well manned…the rest of this is not real important.