Things I Think
1. Matthew Paul Turner wrote an article for the Daily Beast garroting evangelicals who hold to traditional Christian positions on marriage and homosexuality. According to Turner, those who believe in those positions “cause division, push people away from churches, promote the gospels of arrogance and callousness, and castrates the body of Christ, rendering us useless but for punch lines.”
Oh, the irony.
Turner feels free to eviscerate those who hold to two thousand years of church tradition and Scriptural exegesis, but we are the ones who are hateful and divisive.
You are evidently free to be as hateful as hell in the “progressive” camp as long as you hate the same people they do.
It’s not as Turner claims, “about who we will embrace, who we will love, who we will welcome.” It’s about whether or not you agree wholeheartedly with this groups deconstruction of the historic faith and the Scriptures in many areas…and if you don’t, they won’t love, embrace, or welcome you.
They will rip you to shreds in the Daily Beast and wherever else they can get a voice.
They are “inclusive” on the same basis as any other group that hates a different group.
If you hate them too, you’re in.
So much for the “progressive” Gospel…
Here’s a free ebook on “God and the Gay Christian”.
2. I found Jesus’s response to the attempted formation of the first discernment ministry….someone should write a book unpacking this verse.“ John said to him, “Teacher, we saw someone casting out demons in your name, and we tried to stop him, because he was not following us.” But Jesus said, “Do not stop him, for no one who does a mighty work in my name will be able soon afterward to speak evil of me.For the one who is not against us is for us.”(Mark 9:38–40 ESV)
3. The real issue under all the current attempts at biblical deconstruction is the elimination of the doctrine of sin. That’s the real story and the rest of the controversies are just ways to accomplish that.
4. Sad day for Oregonians…the greatest Blazer, Dr. Jack Ramsey, passed away this morning.
5. The great thing about the internet is that it gives everyone a voice. The not so great thing is that it provides disproportionate amplification to all those voices. Ask the mainlines how well that “progressive Gospel” is working for them…
6. Someday, I suspect that they will trace the decline of our society to the shortening of our attention spans…
7. Have you noticed how little you’ve heard about the Bob Coy scandal in recent days? Here’s why… the confession of sin by the church and the ensuing discipline freed the church to move forward. Those biblical principles work… and the inverse is true as well. I suspect Mark Driscoll will continue to make all the wrong headlines.
8. One of the proofs of total depravity is that no one wants to read about decent people doing good things…
9. Help me write my book. Define “church abuse”.
10. If the Rapture is our “blessed hope” why do we treat the signs of it as doom?