Things I Think
We found the witch.
The problem is not the media coverage, it’s what the media has to cover.
The problem is not that people refuse to forgive Driscoll, it’s that Driscoll refuses to confess and repent that he can be forgiven.
The blame shifting that goes on in American celebrity evangelicalism is as odious as the offenses that cause the blame in the first place.
2. Offering a vague, unspecified apology for specific offenses is nothing more than another lie and a complete refusal to take accountability for the offenses themselves.
3. The ability to draw a crowd to a religious program does not equal “doing great things for Jesus”.
4. Exposing the abuses of a celebrity pastor does not equal “defaming Jesus”. First, the abuses are what defame Jesus, not reporting them. Second, confusing Jesus with the celebrity is what causes the mess in the first place.
5. In the NFL players can be suspended for a year for smoking weed…you get two games off for knocking your wife unconscious.The NFL is Americas largest and most lucrative church and reflects the values of it’s members…
6. Last week , Braxton Caner, the 15 year old son of Ergun Caner, died by suicide. This unspeakably terrible tragedy is compounded by the fact that the young man was harassed (for lack of a better word) by prominent Reformed Baptist pastor J.D. Hall on Twitter in the weeks leading up to his death.
This included an invitation to Braxton Caner to “private message” the pastor to learn the “real truth” about his father and an article on the pastors blog questioning the child’s upbringing on issues of morality.
We have had a policy here from the beginning that no matter how much of a scoundrel we were speaking of, the family was to be left out of the discussion…period.
In my opinion, what Hall did in engaging and defaming a child on social media is as reprehensible as Caner’s actions…and he needs to find another line of work, just as Caner should.
Our prayers go out to the Caner family.
7. So far, I’ve had to repent of being self righteous three times while writing one article…if I keep trying it might take.
8. Mark my words…the next revival will come from some variation of Anabaptist theology.
9. If you’re unable to fully grieve the deaths of children and innocents in Gaza because of your “biblical” support of Israel, you have utterly missed most of the content of the Bible.
10. Your will have peace, joy, and obedience in the faith in direct proportion to how much you trust God. The inverse is also true.